Fragile server

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:11/25/1998; 8:07:26 AM
Topic:Testing a new feature.

To people who have sent email (and those who haven't) about messages which have disappeared from this group in the last 24 hours.

The server is fragile. As it's getting more of a load it's crashing more frequently. At the same time, Doug now has a dual-CPU machine and has found some core-level code that is not thread-safe. So there's a good chance that in the next couple of weeks the server will get much more reliable.

BTW, not to point fingers, but at this time it appears that if you want to allocate blocks of memory larger than 64K, you have to write your own memory manager (on Windows of course). As a script writer, not immersed in the details of the C code, this seems ridiculous. Does every developer have to do their own memory manager?

As usual Doug will correct me if I got this wrong. (I need macro for that!)

Dave