Mozilla for the wild-eyed geeks

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:12/2/1998; 6:19:23 AM
Topic:What would peace look like?

Peace, to be sure wouldn't be REPORTED, at least not widely.

Hey cheer up, the press eats up the drama between personalities.

Remember Steve Jobs and Bill Gates on stage in Boston in August 1997. Major ink on that one, a bit of substance to it, but it turns out the substance wasn't where the focus was.

Here's my bet. You'll see a press event within a couple of months, with Steve Case and either Steve Ballmer or Bill Gates from Microsoft onstage outining a longterm agreement to share ideas and technology for making web browsers better and renewing and extending the bundling of MSIE for AOL customers, including the famous link to AOL from the Windows desktop.

Each will kick in $150 million to fund new development around standards they will jointly promote thru the W3C, allowing money to flow into open source development, XML tools and servers, and WORA Java apps (Sun can kick in $150 million too). This is what peace would look like, at least for now.

They all fucked up by going to war in a time of great innovation. So they all get to pay reparations, and get to reap the profits later, in the form of wealth that the newly spawned companies will create.

At the same time, the mozilla underground will be pumping out features that we want, and the Microsoft guys will be taking careful notes, and stealing the best ideas.

Everyone gets to do what they like to do, and we get moving again. Yeah the more I think about it the more I like it. MSIE for the masses on AOL, Mozilla for the wild-eyed geeks.

Dave