Microsoft's Hidden APIs

Author:wilcox@ptd.net
Posted:12/2/1998; 4:15:04 PM
Topic:What would peace look like?

After reading the news.com story on "Microsoft's hidden APIs", I was appalled. Here's a paranoid thought: Microsoft could EASILY can TOTAL control over the marketplace by changing these hidden APIs, (thus "breaking" the "public" ones) causing competitor's programs not to work. (I know that there have been reports of this, but I'm going to take it one step further here...) Microsoft changes ALL of these hidden APIs, then Microsoft charges sky-high "access fees" to a company wanting to build for this Windows version. On another thought, why release documents allowing programmers to work with the all new APIs at all? (Forgetting about REAL anti-trust issues here: if Microsoft did this, there would be MAJOR charges against them). People would have to buy OS, software, EVERYTHING from Microsoft. They would soon be the richest, and only, Window's developers on the planet.

I bet these hidden APIs give Microsoft Word (for example) programmers an advantage no other programmer has. Another example of Microsoft giving itself an "edge up" in the marketplace? Probably, IMHO.

I wonder if Apple "hides" APIs. At least, if they DO, their "hidden APIs" are better hide then Microsoft's.. ;)! From what I know from Apple's "Toolbox" APIs, there is nothing that they are based on - of course, I'm far from being "in the know" on this issue.

Comments anyone? -Ryan