Re: Visible Windows-based HTTP apps

Author:Jason Levine
Posted:12/13/1998; 8:19:33 PM
Topic:Visible Windows-based HTTP apps

I thought of this exact solution about a week ago, and haven't had any time to pass it on to Dave & Bob. (Actually, I thought of it more in the vein of what Jim mentions in his next reply -- the intermediate can talk in COM, in XML-RPC, in _whatever_ you want it to.)

I've been thinking about how other products have been able to achieve what you want -- I believe that Word and Access function as COM servers while still visible, and then there are things like QuickTime, Acrobat Reader, Macromedia Shockwave, and all the ActiveX components that also do it. As far as I can tell, there's always an intermediate that is instantiated by the calling app (like IIS), and that then calls the actual provider of data (like Frontier).

/jason