Re: This is serious stuff

Author:Alec Saunders
Posted:12/18/1998; 2:07:49 PM
Topic:DaveNet comments

I understand that.

My, perhaps naive, perception of how indictments work is that evidence is required in order to proceed. Don't the courts frown on frivolous suits? My complaint with this process is that evidence doesn't seem to be forthcoming. How does lying about an affair (which seems to be the norm in the beltway, so far as I can tell) meet the definition of high crimes and misdemeanors? Is it worse than selling arms to an enemy of the state in order to finance a suspect war in another part of the world?

My opinion is that this is an attempt to convict Clinton in the court of public opinion without due process. I don't think this is fair. I find it more than a little arrogant that elected representatives apparently think that this is an OK way to proceed, and that they believe that their constituents can't or won't see through this gambit. I find it frustrating that my tax dollars are being used to pay for this attempt to "game" the system.

Alec.