I respectfully disagree

Author:Eric Kidd
Posted:12/22/1998; 10:51:24 PM
Topic:DaveNet comments

TQ's comments might have been partisan, and he might have been all-too-willing to overlook Clinton's many failings. But I don't think his words were at all "content free."

He expressed displeasure at what he perceived to be a biased, unfair investigation. The fact that Clinton appears to be guilty of a number of things does not change the fact that somebody leaked confidential grand jury proceedings to the press (a clearly illegal act).

TQ also pointed out that Clinton, while he probably lied under oath, might not be guilty of perjury. I've heard people with legal degrees try to explain the difference between the two things. (Apparently, perjury is a specific kind of lying under oath, and it is very hard to prove.)

So I understand TQ's point: there's a lot of partisan scumbags out to get Clinton, and somebody's been playing fast and loose with our legal system in the process. Now, this does not affect the question of Clinton's character in the slightest. Just because a man is guilty doesn't mean he's not entitled to due process of law.

So perhaps TC was debating the wrong issue for this forum. But it wasn't entirely irrelevant, either.