Re: We're going to wind this down

Author:Bruce Jorgensen
Posted:12/23/1998; 8:45:19 AM
Topic:We're going to wind this down

The portion of the thread that I've read is interesting. The original kick-off letter from DW was extremely invigorating to me. I just can't follow with great responses myself. This is just a brief note to add my support for the core idea of generating a forum for writing, whether it is great or not is something history likely would be the only true judge of.

I support the order of law in society. People who suggest we circumvent law in favor of opinion are willing to sell their souls for a mere cup of porridge. Time will tell whether the policies and governing soul of Mr. Clinton has been worth the cup we've poured for ourselves. I think what is really on trial here is the soul of what America has come to be. We started out with a document called the constitution that was an enabler--for freedom of ideas, property and conscience. We are still discovering what freedom means in a society.

Let us continue to strive to learn and grow. Let's become a society that cares as much about the least of our fellows (men, women and children) as we do about success, fame, and fortune. Let's continue to push freedom of use of this new medium to support the ideals so well captured in in our country's founding document.

And finally, even though others decry the abuse of power, I still am happy with our basic socio-economic system. I have faith in the future if we strive to follow our conscience, not our loins.