Re: Outliners for PalmPilots and for Linux

Author:Steve Ivy
Posted:1/21/1999; 8:43:18 AM
Topic:Frontier on MacOS X Server

The second is that I wanted to mention that THINK, the gnome outliner for Linux has reached a new version. Instead of supporting text from Emacs outline mode, it has now moved to XML.

http://www.duke.edu/~pat4/think/

Wouldn't it be great to have these hook into Frontier! ...

With Frontier's XML-RPC abilities, and the recent developments in Perl and Python for doing XML-RPC, I think the only thing left is:

  1. a Perl/Python/whatever script to send the outline to frontier
  2. someone to write a Frontier method to walk a THINK XML tree and build the Frontier outline from it.

Sounds imminently do-able!

I checked the Frontier xml site and I can't find anything about encoding Frontier outlines as XML. Can anyone tell me what happens when you send an outline as a parameter for an XML-PRC call? I guess I'm asking if anyone has developed a standard Frontier outline - XML conversion. This would be very helpful in developing a Frontier -> THINK connection...

--Steve