Re: Suggestion for the Discussion software

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:1/22/1999; 12:04:55 PM
Topic:Suggestion for the Discussion software

The software *does* know the highest message number you've read, and it even supports multiple discussion groups on a server, so it's keeping a set of bookmarks for you, but there's no UI for it yet, because the UI is a puzzle I haven't figured out yet.

The problem is you might not know, if you're a casual infrequent user, why the software is displaying the messages for March 12, when it's now July 31. I agree that a frequent user (like myself) would figure it out quickly and appreciate what it's doing. It's the newbies I don't want to confuse.

I know a lot of people step thru messages by clicking on Next/Prev, but I'm not sure how to get them to the first-message-they-haven't-read with just one click.