Re: Jini Jini Jini (Zzzzz?)

Author:Wesley Felter
Posted:1/26/1999; 6:03:53 PM
Topic:Jini Jini Jini (Zzzzz?)

Let me put that another way: Assuming that RMI works over other protocols,

1) What are these protocols? Where are they defined?

2) What is the mapping from RMI to that protocol?

For example, it isn't obvious to me how to run RMI over 1394; that needs to be defined somewhere and I don't see it on Sun's site. If this is left up to individual vendors then Jini isn't truly an end-to-end solution and thus does not guarantee that two devices that have the same kind of port can interoperate.

This lack of specifics leads me to believe that either Jini isn't finished or the full information needed to use it isn't available to the public.