Re: New Scripting News layout

Author:Bruce Hoult
Posted:2/13/1999; 9:30:48 PM
Topic:New Scripting News layout

I like the visual appearance of the new Scripting news layout, but it has a fatal flaw. In both Opera 3.5 (my preferred browser) and MSIE 3, the page is not displayed until everything has loaded. When connected via modem, this makes a lot of finger twiddling before I can see the new content.

I'm on a modem connection in New Zealand. Doing "refresh" (which reloads *everything*) on www.scripting.com in Navigator 4.05 Mac takes less than five seconds before the text and calendar are displayed.

To me, this isn't bad enough to qualify as "a lot of finger twiddling", or at least not compared to the average web site.