Re: Macs in Content Management?

Author:Jim Byrne
Posted:2/22/1999; 7:28:09 AM
Topic:Macs in Content Management?

The statement that Macs are be used for content management seems to me to be absurd. The Mac scriptable environment gives it a huge advantage over other platforms when it comes to automation. Content mangement is all about automation.

I have set up several remote page editing systems using Frontier on a Mac server. All of which are happily being used - by folk who don't know one end of an HTML page from another - to add and edit their web pages via their browsers.

e.g. Scottish Consumer Council (http://scotconsumer.org.uk) Scottish Accessible Information Forum ( http://www.connections.gcal.ac.uk/saif) to name just two.

At the moment it is all done via web based forms - all new pages created have an edit button added. This is done as frontier cgi behind a Webstar Server.

This is not an enterprise size opperation but the Frontier, Mac, content management combination is a natural.