Re: Rick Segal on Blue Mountain v Microsoft

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:2/24/1999; 10:11:37 AM
Topic:Rick Segal on Blue Mountain v Microsoft

How would you react if Mail to the Future messages were blocked by the Outlook Express spam filter?

I might write a DaveNet piece about it. I would put a disclaimer on the home page of MTTF saying it might not work for some people who use Microsoft's emailer. In my experience that might be enough to get Microsoft to fix the problem. If they didn't I'd shrug it off. I certainly wouldn't sue them to address this issue. I think the user has to make an informed choice about what software they use. If they use a poorly designed emailer, I trust that eventually either the software will be fixed or they will switch.

BTW, we *did* have a similar issue with Netscape and their choice to take our flow by remapping "scripting" to their scripting page. I wrote a DaveNet about it, and as a result got more flow because the story was picked up by Wired and News.com, etc.