Re: FAQ: Do you love Microsoft?

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:2/27/1999; 10:26:34 AM
Topic:Mail to the Future Server Functionality

The biggest problem is that because of Java security settings, the Java code has to come from the same server you want to talk to over XML-RPC. The good news is that the HTML pages containing the applet don't have to come from that server.

MSIE has the same restriction, and apparently doesn't have the good news that Java offers, in our tests, the HTML pages have to come from the same server too, leading to some awkward and expensive teamwork limitations.

So, if you agree to put the applet jar file somewhere on the MTTF server, people all over the net could start experimenting with it. The applet is ready, but it's useless without some docs. I guess I'll do that tomorrow (it's 6:30 PM here).

I have interesting idea here. You could XML-RPC the applet onto the server. That way I'd be out of the loop. We could make it an enclosure for a DG message. They have URLs.