Resource scarcity vs. abundance

Author:Wesley Felter
Posted:3/4/1999; 2:05:30 PM
Topic:ADSL

That's something that has been bothering me lately. Since CPU time used to be scarce, operating systems have evolved very efficient means of managing and measuring CPU usage. Unfortunately, the bottlenecks on my computer are disk and network bandwidth, which I have no tools to monitor. So when my computer grinds to a halt because the disk is thrashing, I have no way of knowing which app is causing that. Likewise, sometimes I see Ethernet activity on one of my machines but I don't know which app it's associated with or whether my ISP is portscanning me again.