Re: Frontier and PIM's

Author:Bill Seitz
Posted:3/5/1999; 11:49:35 AM
Topic:Frontier and PIM's

I certainly agree with that point. Or, at least, I'd say a new PIM has to talk pretty cleanly to the Palm. If it replaced the Palm desktop stuff (or automatically read/writes to those files) and synchs to the Palm, I'm very interested.

Another concern I've had with PIMs, given their low likelihood of survival, is the use of XML as a base data format. That way when the company goes out of business and the old version stops working when I upgrade my OS, etc. I can rescue my data. (Of course, I'd have a horrible time translating to a new DTD...)

So, if I had The Brain interface, with the ability to identify a node as being of a certain type (ToDo, Address), thus letting me add additional structured data, and the entire Brain file was a big XML file, and there was a way to tie into the Palm, I'd be there big-time. (As long as it costs $49).

Actually, another reason for low PIM price might have become "well, I don't want to pay a lot because in 2 years I'll have to learn a new one when this one disappears"... destructive cycle....