VNC

Author:Kurt Granroth
Posted:3/5/1999; 10:04:06 PM
Topic:DHTML MTTF!

VNC is Seriously Cool. I occasionally use it as a replacement X server of sorts.. even when both the server and the client are already running X! The VNC protocol is quite a bit tighter than the standard X protocol so if you are doing X stuff over a modem, you'll really see some speed increases in very large apps (FrameMaker, Netscape, etc).

That's not the coolest thing, though. The coolest feature VNC has is their Windows server. The ability to share a desktop with other people is just too cool for words. A co-worker and I debugged a requirements document like so:

I was at home running a VNC client on Linux, he was in the office running a VNC client on Solaris, and the server was running on a WinNT box in a different city. We put the server is shared mode and fired up our document in Word. We also opened Notepad off to the side. As we reviewed the document, then, we would either make the changes as we found them (whoever found the defect first) or if discussion was necessary, we would do so in the Notepad window. It worked very well for our needs that day.