Re: Linux programming manuals

Author:Eric Kidd
Posted:3/6/1999; 9:19:15 AM
Topic:DHTML MTTF!

Is there anything like LineTo and MoveTo and DrawString on Linux?

Yup. XDrawLine, XDrawString, XDrawText, XDrawRectangle, XFillRectangle are all there. MoveTo is missing, but that's because X is supposed to be re-entrant.

GraphPorts are different, though, because of the nextwork. X calls them "windows", but not in the modern sense of the term. Think of a whole bunch of little, sliding GraphPorts nested inside each other, and you'll grok X. Your screen is a window, your windows are windows, your scrollbars are windows. "Windows everywhere!" to quote a certain CEO. ;-)

That's just about all there is--everything else is a protocol, a convention.

It would be great if the Mac graphic API were supported. You have no idea how many people know that stuff at the base of their spine. (Like me for example.)

That would be a fun hack! Apple still has a patent on QuickDraw regions, so you couldn't have those. But the rest would be pretty easy. LineTo, MoveTo, FillRect. I still remember QuickDraw, too! Why did nobody else make it so easy?