Re: Linux and winning

Author:Oliver Wrede

Emphatically: Learn about XML-RPC!

Hello Dave,

thanks for pointing out XML-RPC. I know you are putting much effort into this and I think you are doing great on that.

I do not want to make you angry, but I really can't see, what you try to say with this answer to my basic argument:

I can't run things I develop inside Frontier ODB (or the mainresponder stuff) on my ISP's UNIX machine. That makes Frontier unattractive for any ISP I know (I don't know that many, but I can say they all run UNIX and do not touch NT at any circumtance)!

I would have to put a own NT machine into my ISP's network, which costs me extra money I can't spend on this. And my ISP won't support it (if he ever would agree to have a NT machine in his subnet anyway!).

As far as I know about the C-Programming stuff, it would be principally possible to isolate a Frontier core (dropping the UI), which operates with ODB's like a Frontier.exe on NT would do. (maybe it would have to emulate the builtin verbs related to the UI internally)

I was just thinking about this, because your main argument against a port to UNIX seemd to be the GUI stuff.

I suggested to use Frontier as content management system in several projects. But everytime during evaluation, Frontier lost the race against other tools, just because it does not run on UNIX. What does XML-RPC help here? I did not get your point....

Oliver