Re: Junk in URLs and link-rot

Author:Wesley Felter
Posted:3/8/1999; 6:58:15 PM
Topic:Unique vs. Generic URLs

As a good example, look at InfoWorld:

http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayArchive.pl?/99/10/i02-10.53.htm

I really don't care that they're using a Perl CGI. If Frontier can support non-ugly URLs, you'd think the huge sites could do it.

But that's not nearly as bad as many sites where the URL is all numbers. I know one of those numbers is my personal tracking number (which I would like to trim off when I link to the page), but which one? StoryServer rates really low too, with URLs that are all numbers and commas; who ever heard of commas in a URL?