Re: Frontier on Carbon

Author:Bruce Hoult
Posted:5/3/1999; 6:51:53 PM
Topic:Frontier on Carbon

I ran the Carbon dater against Frontier and it reveals that 88.3% of the app will be fine under Carbon, 1.4% will be supported but with modification, 2.2% will be supported but not recommended, 1% is under evaluation by Apple, 7.0% will be unsupported.

I did this as well :-)

The 7% unsupported don't look bad at all. A lot of it is just PBxxx calls that need to be changed to PBHxxxx, things like MaxAppleZone to get rid of, a bit of updating of the printing interface (printer records are not 120 bytes anymore, they are instead an opaque interface) and the like. I'm sure there will be some nasty's -- there is some playing around with resource maps that may or may not be hard to redo -- but it dosn't look to be a big effort. Probably comparable to porting between different plavours of Unix...