Re: scriptingNews outline for 5/6/99

Author:Eric Kidd

Red Herring:

The bottom line, according to the analyst? "We don't foresee Linux having any impact on Microsoft in the next two to three years."

Rest easy, Redmond.

Too late. I think they've already noticed. :-( As much as I'd like to see Microsoft ignore the threat to NT, I doubt they'll be resting easy.

Linux is a serious contender in the server space. It runs lots of popular server software, and lots of smart people and smart companies are signing on. Microsoft would be foolish to ignore all this activity.

Microsoft is not a proud company--they're a determined one. I've never seen them ignore a competitor, no matter how minor. Let's give them some credit for brains, here.

Cheers, Eric