Re: Mac OS X, Carbon, Etc.

Author:Jim Roepcke
Posted:5/17/1999; 7:07:41 PM
Topic:Mac OS X, Carbon, Etc.

Greg said:

I'm with you on that. That was my one big dissapointment at WWDC. I don't know the details, but I'm guessing that the Quartz graphics engine is throwing things off...1) because it would be difficult to reproduce features on Windows and 2) because they must owe some more significant royalties to Adobe on it. It's based on the Bravo engine that's in Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign.

The YB/Cocoa on Windows thing really chapped me too. I hadn't heard that Quartz was based on Bravo, or anything else, for that matter... (I'm not saying you're wrong, just that it's news to me)

I thought that one of the two reasons they got rid of DPS in favour of Quartz was to get rid of the Adobe royalties! (The other was because drawing was a server-side operation, not a client-side one)

If Quartz is based on what's in Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign, which all run on Windows too, shouldn't Quartz for Windows be fairly simple?

Can ... not... com-pute.

Jim