Re: Enter ADSL...

Author:William Crim
Posted:5/17/1999; 9:25:21 PM
Topic:It might be OVER for MP3....

Bandwidth is increasing quite fast. A savings of a meg won't matter much. A few megs of information isn't that big of a deal anymore.

The human ear can only hear so much quality. Mp3 might have less quality than CD, but it really isn't detectable. Mp3 is a small file, near-CD quality, wide distribution, and only needs a low-end pentium. I am not seeing any drawbacks yet. :-)

As a side note, I am rather glad that we have physical limits, where no more improvement need be made. For instance, you won't need to worry about a 64-bit color depth, because the human eye can only see 32-bits of color. Our retinas have a fixed resolution. We won't need 85" monitors or 64,000x64,000 resolution displays. 16 bits of sound is all we need to deal with.(we just get 3D speakers now. ;-P) Perhaps I won't have to spend $2,000 to upgrade my computer everytime the next generation of games comes out. :-)