A poem for Linus

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:5/21/1999; 5:11:41 PM
Topic:Getting in Linus' head

When they come out swinging, I expect they'll find that they can't figure out who to punch. So they'll punch at Linus.

The only way for them to relate to Linux is to embrace it, the real warm huggy kind of embrace, not the Death Star cold wind, stand on a stage and wait for the knife in the back kind of embrace. Force the issue by refusing to go to war. Do not get on a stage with them. No deals.

Microsoft is planning a reprise of the demise of Netscape? This time around they won't be so lucky. No puffy poster boy and posturing political puritan. Only a crowd of peace-loving software-niks. No reprise for this round.

I think Microsoft should get a special page on www.cluetrain.com. It's time for them to take a ride!

And to the Linux guys, whoever they may be, if a reporter comes a callin, don't talk about war with them. Talk about peace and love and friendship and cool software and brotherhood. Praise Microsoft! They make cool hacks!

Next thing you know we're going to have "Open Source Wars" on Page One. Don't laugh it could happen. I bet it does anyway.

Open Source Wars Break Out!
Microsoft fires latest salvos.

In a bold move designed to undermine the rising tide of Open Source software, Microsoft announced today that key system software components would be released in source form under the MOL, or Microsoft Open License.

"We're looking at this seriously," said John Q. MisDirector, the head of corporate computing policy for Labamba Motors, the largest auto maker in Venzuela. "No one ever complained before that we didn't have Microsoft source code, but nonetheless I wouldn't want to be Linus Torvalds today," he continued.

Torvalds could not be reached for comment.

Dudes and dudesses, the Open Source rallying cry is the problem. Linux is a great OS. Don't forget it. Make it greater. If the issue is open source, Microsoft can match it. If the issue is a highly reliable server OS with quick turnaround on bug fixes and a strong, thought-out philosophy, and a stubborn refusal to participate in warfare, then you got something.

Study Gandhi and Martin Luther King.

I ain't gonna study war no more!

PS: No one ever got fired for choosing Linux.