Re: A poem for Linus

Author:Eric Kidd
Posted:5/22/1999; 8:16:15 AM
Topic:Getting in Linus' head

They can easily embrace open source.

Well, that would be a happy day indeed! Open source is about two things, really:

Choosing (1) would be a great first step. Kernel hackers could tune NT threads and fix DDE. Somebody could find out why the MS-DOS console locks up, and fix it. Accepting (2) is difficult, though, and usually requires a new business model. Open source is a pleasant way to work--and you can make money--but it's not the be-all and end-all of writing software.

Microsoft is too big and too powerful to get a new business model. Bill Gates needs to be responsible to his share holders. Making the Windows source code open to the public might be an option. Letting go of all the legal control would be much harder. Sun can't do it with Java, and Sun was born as an open source Unix company (I kid you not--check the history books).

But if Microsoft can figure out how to satisfy their shareholders and still make Windows open source, I'll be cheering in the streets. Go Microsoft!

Harder to swallow: Embracing Linux.

Nah. They'd sell a lot of copies of Office for Linux. Microsoft understands that business model. Witness the Mac, for example.

Cheers, Eric