Re: Edit this Page

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:5/25/1999; 9:47:49 AM
Topic:"Edit This Page" is not New

Lixian, cheer up! Just because Netscape did something like this doesn't mean they did it right, or that it had any impact on web writing. An HTML editor is not a necessarily writing tool. I tried Netscape Gold when it came out. It didn't work! Oh well.

In order for an idea like this to catch on lots of things have to be right, including timing. The users have to be ready for it. Based on what I've seen in my inbox, lots of them are ready.

Also, the OS vendors, Microsoft and Apple, have an installed base to bring along with them. They have to tack on access to the net within their existing user interface. They are both doing an excellent job of this.

However, when you are designing a UI for people who are ready to cut the connection with the local environment, you can do a delightfully simple user interface. That's what we're doing. (Yes, of course you will be able to save to your hard disk or LAN file server, but that interface will be complicated, instead of the net interface being complicated. A simple tradeoff.)