Re: HTML engines in OSes

Author:Brian M. Criscuolo
Posted:6/3/1999; 6:21:18 AM
Topic:HTML engines in OSes

I had posted during WWDC regarding the HTML rendering engine that is in Mac OS 8.6 and will be available to developers. If you are in the developer program with Apple and have access to the seeds, the Help SDK is currently available in beta form. Below are my session notes that briefly describe what Apple is trying to do with the rendering.

-Inet. and Web Tech. : HTML Rendering Library
Based on Help Viewer
HTML 3.2 compliant
-Inet. and Web Tech. : Renderer Goals
Capable enough, small enough, fast enough, read only
Not bleeding edge, not a browser
-Inet. and Web Tech. : Renderer
Follows links for file, http and mailto
Frames, tables (nested)
Uses Internet Control Panel
-Inet. and Web Tech. : Renderer - Not supported
Forms, Javascript, plugins, style sheets, XML
-Inet. and Web Tech. : How To Use
Check if available
What window/rectangle to render in
Tell it the URL and file/buffer
Draw it

Hopefully that helps to clear some issues up - it seems like a good technology to use. Although it doesn't support XML, XML will be supported within the OS via the Core Foundation Classes (probably in OS 8.7 and above).

Brian