Re: Internet Alchemy

Author:Ian Davis
Posted:6/15/1999; 7:10:43 AM
Topic:Internet Alchemy

1. Perhaps Ian can add a "synthetic" flag to the OCS format. That way the client can decide whether or not to show such content (and good content it is).

This is a good suggestion. I think it needs to be clear that the producer of the RSS file may not be the original author of the content. I'll look into adding this to the OCS spec.

2. I agree that there is no central place to discuss all of this. Dave, are you in a position to do so? If not I will look in to hosting a mailing list.

Well, I'm in the process of setting up a mailing list for Internet Alchemy, mostly for discussion of ideas revolving around Java, XML and web development. Perhaps I can hurry that along.

3. RSS Maker is very cool, and I think it has a long-term place in the world. However, it is also great to get sites to generate RSS of their own. I've had limited success so far in approaching individual sites and asking them for RSS files for their content. There is a third approach where RSS Maker is used to offer "third party syndication" with the permission of the home site.

I'm not sure about RSS maker being long lived, hopefully every one of those sites will start producing their own RSS files so I won't need to run RSSMaker forever. Besides, I'm working on another way of getting lots of interesting channels, I'm just working out the details before I launch it.

.id. -- weblog - http://alchemy.openjava.org/ me - http://www.fdc.co.uk/people/iand/ email - iand@fdc.co.uk | icq - 4423828