Re: Unix and Email Viruses

Author:Paul Nakada
Posted:6/15/1999; 5:42:05 PM
Topic:Unix and Email Viruses

some of my thoughts below. very little facts to back up, but my opinions nonetheless.

I think what the latest "virus" shows us is that the most vulnerable aspect of any system is the user who uses it. We know that the best password systems in use today fall apart when users give their passwords away over the phone when someone asks them for it.

We also know that people will execute any email attachment that is sent to them if the email tells them to execute it and the sender is someone who is trusted. This is one of the most insidious aspects of the latest type of email virus. It appears that a trusted individual is asking you to execute this program. Sure, we are wary of such things, but is the average individual?

I remember long ago, before there were windows users with email systems, an email virus of sorts was rampant on the internet. Do you remember Craig Shergold and his postcard writing campaign? It's not the same as today's email virus, but it's not a lot different either.

- Paul