Re: Letter to the Editor of Wired

Author:--
Posted:7/29/1999; 7:23:19 AM
Topic:Letter to the Editor of Wired

I didn't like Dvorak's piece neither, but it wasn't simply for the sexism. The main problem with Dvorak's piece is that he totally misunderstood the point of iBook. It's a Consumer notebook. It's designed for home/family users, and/or educational users. The message is clear, Steve Jobs outlined Apple's production line in a very simple 2x2 grid. Anyone can tell right away that what Dvorak wants should be the PRO line, not the "i" line.

Honestly, I think people in this industry need to re-study the consumer segment. The success of iMac proves that general consumers have very different thought about computers. I, myself, wouldn't buy an iMac if this is my first computer or if I didn't already own a computer. It has limited expandibility. There are less Mac softwares (especially productivity softwares and games) than PC. Internet softwares usually came out for the PC first. iMac is about $500 more than comparable PC. But all these don't stop people from buying the iMac. And, more importantly, we know that the day of big black bulky computers has gone.