An Elderly White Male (Almost)

Author:Donald W. Larson
Posted:7/29/1999; 11:08:43 AM
Topic:Letter to the Editor of Wired

I think I may be approximately the same age as Dvorak. One of the approaching signs of becoming elderly is the race between my hair going gray and going away. :-)

I've been hearing this "white male" label for almost thirty years now. I wonder why this label is used at all in an enlightened society? The population is about 50% male and 50% female. Yet, the "male" portion of the pronunciation often receives the most emphasis when I hear it.

I think the phrase, "elderly white male" is offensive. It's as offensive as expressing any other ethnic reference to other groups of people. For some reason, saying things about white males is assumed to be acceptable; as if we are willing targets. I for one am not a willing target.

As for the iBook itself, I would buy a Grape one (if it existed) to use around the house. I may even take it out and be unafraid to do so. It's not a male/female thing to me. I recall a time when no "man" would wear an earing in his ear. Nowadays it very commonplace. Times change, tastes change. So here's hoping a Grape iBook will appear soon. To each their own.