Re: Letter to the Editor of Wired

Author:ricardo
Posted:7/29/1999; 3:59:36 PM
Topic:Letter to the Editor of Wired

Hi Dave,

I have a different view of John Dvorak’s iBook column. I see the issue as one of context. Is his opinion a Technical journal commentary, or is it Entertainment? I would agree, it can be both—but I ask myself: if the purpose was Journalistic, why be inflammatory? If it was entertainment, why be rude? I’m always happy to see humor employed whenever possible, a sure sign of thought. Unfortunately, Dvorak’s article has but one running idea, ad nauseum; Where is the art in that, I ask? People should rightly be concerned with political correctness in our society. I’ve always been on the side of those who’ve thumbed their noses at the status quo. So often these are the people who by their exploration, talent, and risk-taking—manage to change the world. In the end, they are indeed true artists. I see what Apple is doing with their iBooks and iMacs as consistent with the Hacker Ethic that I’m familiar with (fide Steven Levy). It’s an affirmation that the information age does revolve around the individual. Liberation technology—in contrast and opposition to Corporate America. The very same Corporate America dominated by white males (I know not their age anymore). I mean no offense to them nor to any pundits with an active disinterest in having the status quo re-arranged. I congratulate Apple for leading the way of Human-Machine interface research, making computers more usable, their interfaces more efficient, and — dare I say it, more pleasant.

Thanks for listening lo-these many years.

Ricardo Martinez (old to computing, fairly new to userland)