Re: Mac or Win Frontier serving web content?

Author:Erin Clerico
Posted:7/30/1999; 7:50:33 AM
Topic:Mac or Win Frontier serving web content?

I run several stable Mac web servers, 1 with 4.2 running CGI just the way you described and another with Frontier 6 serving some CGI and some dynamic stuff. If you are familiar with Macs, stick with a Mac server sollution, they are _MUCH_ easier to set up and can be made very stable.

I do not see a need to move to serving directly from Frontier. I think at the very least you would need to jump up to 5.1. If you are headed in that direction, then just move on up to 6.0. The commercial license for your workstation is $899 and you will need to license another copy for your server for $299. I recently made this move at work and have discovered a rich new environment to base my applications including discussion groups (just like this one), membership and more.

If you need some help setting up a Mac as a web server let me know. I have had some real sucsess with these machines.