Powerlessness on parade

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/16/1999; 8:33:24 AM
Topic:Webstandards starts petition:

http://www.webstandards.org/standardsnow.html

The message that Microsoft hears: "We have no say in what you do, so we thought we'd show you many of us there are."

The only way to make a difference is to build your own browser. The message would be better aimed at the Mozilla crowd. An even better message. "Here's $10 million to hire the best programmers to make Mozilla shine."

I'm amazed that Yahoo, eBay and Lycos haven't put together a browser programming fund to make sure that there's always an alternative to Microsoft's browser. That would be powerful. (Or Oracle, HP, Sun, Apple, etc. Or the DOJ.)

Aiming petitions at Microsoft is like pissing into the wind. It only raises the question of why such a petition is necessary. Why? Because Microsoft has all the power, at least when it comes to web standards.

One (humble) man's opinion.