Re: Specific URL

Author:Chris Chapman
Posted:9/2/1999; 9:14:38 AM
Topic:Who owns what parts of your webpage?

I worked at a company a couple years ago in which Yahoo had sold our trademarked name as a *category* to a competitor for their banner ads. Our company sued and Yahoo settled out of court. We got something like $500,000 in free advertising -- which turned out to be pretty useless from what I understand.

So, it DOES happen but Yahoo tends to shrug it off as a problem. Personally, I think we took the easy way out, in settling. There was, at least at that time, no research in trademark infringement on the ads they were selling. That's just bad business. It leaves yourself wide open.