Re: Sorting DG lists?

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:9/9/1999; 4:35:36 AM
Topic:Sorting DG lists?

Warning, a rant follows. This isn't really directed at Oliver, we get "feature requests" all the time, usually just like this, with no motivation, no explanation of why it's so important. Just here's this idea, when can I have it. It's frustrating to me. So here's some of that frustration.

How much would you pay for that feature? I'm not going to answer the question for you, but I saw a posting on a DG recently where someone rattled off a long list of "ideas" for a product that would take a team of five programmers two years to create and ended the posting by saying he'd be willing to pay $20 for the software. I didn't take him up on it, and I doubt if anyone else did. Programmers cost a lot of money, and therefore so does software.

I've been trying to figure out how to get $20 million so I can make all the software I want. From time to time we get postings like this on the DG, I have to ignore them. I wonder what your intention is? Do you really think we're going to stop and implement this? That's an internal display that's kind of fun, so we linked it in so other people could see. How much work do you think we should put into it? And what about other features that would have to wait while we put that feature in?

You didn't even tell me why you want to be able to sort by columns.

Try to remember that there are human beings here. Talk to us as if we were human. Just dumping a silly idea here is kind of offensive. It's like coming to dinner at someone's house and suggesting they add a new bathroom to the house for your occasional use.

Anyway to answer your question, of course it can be implemented. I even think I understand the feature request even though it isn't explained. We could implement it, but it would cost money and opportunity to do that. Welcome to the world of software. ;->