Re: New Third Voice version out

Author:Chris Hanson
Posted:9/15/1999; 9:25:15 PM
Topic:New Third Voice version out

True; but somewhat unfair. Such guarentees don't exist in the real world either, but we still expect them. Newspapers don't have to deal with large numbers of people intercepting the trucks and adding their comments to the newspapers. (Note, it doesn't have to be all the newspapers... and for that matter, it wouldn't really matter whether or not the reader wanted those comments; I'd still expect the newspaper to win the lawsuit against the markers.)

If I voluntarily take someone up on a free offer to receive my newspaper in my stead, add their comments to it (perhaps with mustaches drawn on all the photographs), and then deliver it with the comments, I can't see how the newspaper could possibly have a case either against either me or the provider of that service.

Third Voice is not intercepting papers before they reach the newsstand. They're providing exactly the sort of service that I describe above, but electronically and on a larger scale. The medium and the scale of such things should have absolutely no bearing on their legality; such is a very slippery slope.

I should be able to view content as I will on my computer, even filtered through the lens of Third Voice -- or Surfwatch, or Babelfish, or any other web-filtering service or device.

I do not want to live in a world where corporations and other information providers have such tight control over their "content" that they can prevent me from filtering it. Intellectual property privileges exist solely to promote the creation of content, not to enrich content creators. I can't see how less content will be produced if more people are creating meta-content, which tells me that the status quo works.