Re: Linux Magazines

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:10/18/1999; 5:13:24 PM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

I don't think you understand where I'm coming from. Let me explain.

I think software is inherently a mixed bag. I think it's stupid for one platform to dis the others. It's stupid because it's a losing proposition, yes even for Linux. It's still true that most people don't use Linux. Given that position, it should actively welcome offers of compatibility.

However, when it comes to print vs web, I think that was over a long time ago. I still do occasionally pick up a magazine at the grocery store, but it's very occasional. For me, I don't need print. Yes, I do dis pubs that print, and feel justified in that. And I have even more disdain for pubs that *only* do print. Esp ones that serve communities that can be as arrogant as the Linux folk. (Yes, I know there is no such thing as Linux, and there are no Linux folk, just like there is no IETF.)

About the web, dear Zac, I am a radical.

About OSes and scripting environments, I am a peacemaker.