Re: Today's scriptingNews Outline

Author:Erin Clerico
Posted:11/8/1999; 12:36:40 PM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

When was in the printing business, I had the highest admiration for the press operators. Most people could learn 95% of the mechanical operation of the press, getting the paper to feed, the ink loaded, the dampening system watered up. The last 5% – laying down the ink on the paper, was all in the finesse and art of achieving a near perfect balance of ink and soapy water. A press operator may spend years honing this skill. This is what separated the artists from the technicians.

I liken this to putting a user interface on server based processes. Many can script these automated processes, but few can put a usable, and even likeable user interface on them. Non geeks need to be shielded from this stuff if these tools are to have mass appeal.

Userland has placed a usable, and even likeable user interface on such processes as website management, server administration, page updating, group content management and communication. This is what distinguishes these artists from the rest of the pack.

-Erin Clerico