Re: Collab filtering at alexlit.com

Author:- -
Posted:11/10/1999; 11:50:32 AM
Topic:Collab filtering at my.userland.com?

Mm. Anita gets it in one, but then, she invited me over to the discussion in the first place.

I was referring to the site I programmed, actually, the one in the subject line. http://www.alexlit.com/

You can compare our system to NetPerception's implementation of an active CF at Amazon.com and the Firefly system at barnesandnoble.com, and I think you'll see how the botched user interfaces on the other two systems has a huge effect on the utility. (Note, the "people who bought this bought that" thing at amazon is NOT the active CF system.)

For example, the *average* number of ratings entered by a visitor at our site is about 200. Because it's so easy and fun. We're approaching two million ratings total, and those are direct patron opinions, feedback from inside their heads. We still don't have sufficient diversity of users to be useful to everybody; SF readers are much more likely to get "psychic" level predictions than Western fans. Nevertheless, even when the system's only somewhat helpful, it's often a valuable adjunct to other sources of advice, and the more people use it, the better it gets.

The site has been running for three years now.