Re: Online Journalism

Author:Luke Tymowski
Posted:11/17/1999; 9:53:32 AM
Topic:Online Journalism

There seems to be a lot of inbreeding going on though. A&L points to Fallows's essay. Fallows in his essay describes A&L as a brilliant project. Fallows points to Blue Ear as a brilliant example of new journalism. Blue Ear points to Fallows as a brilliant critic of journalism today.

Who do we trust?

I find the same thing with the epinions crowd. If you follow some of the leading epinioners, they're all related to one another. So they congratulate one another on just how brilliant they all are. And of course the importance of each one grows as a result.

Same thing with the webloggers. Same thing happened before with the journalers.

I'm not suggesting they're all irrelevant because they are so cliquish. Some of them are obviously very good at what they do.

But I don't always get the sense that their opinions are entirely independent. I keep getting the sense that "well everyone else glows about so-and-so, so he or she must be brilliant, but kill me if I understand one word he writes."

Seems the old truths are still with us on the Web. If you are truly independent (and not a nutbar) you're more or less destined to be marginalised. That's sad, I think.