Re: ISP using Manila!

Author:stanp@iname.com
Posted:12/17/1999; 4:24:33 PM
Topic:ISP using Manila!

If I were a business I would be expect and be willing to pay more. On the other hand, I would expect have my site hosted on a server with fewer other sites so that I don't experience performance degradation when the server gets busy. I noticed the first few days of EditThisPage that there were times when response really lagged or my connection refused.

If I am getting the service for free, or am paying $10-$20 per month for a personal site I can accept some amount of occasional overload on the server. If I were a business depending on the site $50-$100 (or more) per month is down in the noise but I would expect fast server response all the time.

Perhaps the way to differentiate service levels would be the server neighborhood that our site ends up in. Those of us who are cheap, or just don't have the money, could all be grouped on the low-rent server with thousands of others, while those with the money or business requirement would reside on more exclusive servers where the load is kept down by limiting the number of occupants, kind of like real life.

On the other hand, I have no real knowledge regarding the server capacity required to host hundreds or thousands of sites, or what causes server response to lag. I guess that's part of the objectives of the EditThisPage experiment.