Re: Boycotting Amazon

Author:Mandomonger
Posted:12/20/1999; 2:39:38 PM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

I understand why people want to boycott Amazon or eToys, but I am absolutely amazed at the press these corporations are gettting when there are so many multinationals who are much more egregious offenders of Doing the Right Thing.

Take Nestle's aggressive marketing of baby formula in underdeveloped countries. They give away formula until a mother's milk dries up, then they charge extraordinary prices for formula which poor families simply cannot afford. Since the mothers no longer are lactating, babies die.

There are plenty of other examples, and the flaws of Amazon or eToys pale in comparison. Perhaps we should all spend less time worrying about the day Amazon takes over ecommerce and more time worrying about the day a cartel of multinational corporations takes over the world's food supply.