Re: Oil Gas Prices -- What's The Reason?

Author:Nick Sweeney
Posted:3/17/2000; 9:05:22 PM
Topic:Oil Gas Prices -- What's The Reason?

OK, so oil prices are kinda high here in the Bay Area (the cheapest I'm able to get is $1.799 per gallon for 87 Octane) and I hear it's expensive elsewhere too.

Such as most of Europe, where prices range somewhere between $4 and $5 a gallon. But that's by-the-bye. The US Energy Secretary summed it up: the world uses 36 million barrels of oil a day, but only 34 million are being "produced" each day, due primarily to OPEC's production quotas. Shortfall creates demand; demand increases prices. If you're a "hostage" to anything, it's capitalism.

The reason I mention Europe, is that we've adapted to higher fuel prices. Smaller, more fuel-efficient cars make sense in that kind of economy: it's a maxim that could apply across the board. Cut the fat. Adapt.