Re: Tools for writers

Author:Dori Smith
Posted:4/21/2000; 7:12:02 PM
Topic:Tools for writers

There are no real companies for writers because the wordprocessor has been around for so long. There is a barrier to entry. You need to get people to switch from what they know. Instead, we learn to fit your work to a wordprocessor, instead of a finding a word processor to fit our work. Also, word prcessors were flexible enough to fit many of the needs, and could evolve feature sets to fit those needs.

As a writer, I use MS Word, because that's what all my editors want. In theory, I think that I could use StarOffice because it generates compatible files, but I've never tried it out.

I've long thought that Adobe should consider buying Nisus. Take Nisus Writer, port it to Windows, and then put in deep hooks to connect it to GoLive, InDesign, and Acrobat. Write something once, then click a button and publish it everywhere.

That'd be enough of a reason to get people to convert over. And then if you put good scripting hooks into all those puzzle pieces, life gets really fun!

Dori
Backup Brain