Re: Help XML-DEV get back in the groove and..

Author:Brian Behlendorf
Posted:4/24/2000; 9:11:12 AM
Topic:Help XML-DEV get back in the groove and..

I agree about the FreeBSD recommendation, though instead of Postfix and Mailman I use qmail and ezmlm. They are a little, uh, quirky to configure, but once you have grokked the Tao of qmail, it all makes sense. And, it screams performance-wise. A lowly PII-266 also doing duty as a 2 million-hit/day web server and login server can also do 30-60 SMTP deliveries per second.

Dave may be shocked by this stunning admission, but qmail and ezmlm are NOT open source. Their source code is completely available for inspection and free redistribution, but you may not redistribute derivative software. You can of course distribute patches, so most of the pragmatic benefits are there.

Brian