Re: essaylet

Author:Dan Gillmor

To respond to Dave's invitation:

My concern was that a reader of his "essaylet" might incorrectly conclude that I'd intervened with a company, using my position as a journalist, because a friend had asked for assistance. I don't do that kind of thing, not because I don't want to help people, but because it's not proper for me to do it.

The UserLand-Conxion dispute raised potentially important questions about the relationship between ISPs and customers. I asked Conxion for its side. I ultimately did put up a short Weblog piece with pointers to Dave's writings on the subject -- and then posted Conxion's response (and linked to Dave's reply). It wasn't to show support for one side or the other, but rather to point out a heated issue that was being thrashed out in public, to let readers make up their own minds.

I was relieved that Dave didn't mean it the way I read it. Language is full of ambiguity, and people who write (and speak) need to remember that before jumping to conclusions. I aim that remark mostly at myself.

Dave's right that this new medium raises all kinds of questions. It will be fun, and useful, to explore them as the medium grows.