Re: The nonsense of removing IE

Author:Bryce

I don't understand how a company devoted to MSIE would finance itself. Netscape has already proven that pursuing the browser market is not a sustainable business model. Microsoft's illegal tying of IE3 to Windows 95 sales may have accellerated things, but let's face facts: Everyone wants a web browser, and no one wants to pay for it.

IMO, Windows 98 and Windows 2000 are a different matter entirely. Complete browser integration provides tangible benefits to end-users and the application development community. Viewing a web page or remote FTP site is no more complicated than viewing a local directory. Developing a help system is as "easy" as developing a web site.

These features belong in the OS. An Application vendor would never have been able to deliver these features for a platform, any platform, with the success and developer buy-in that Microsoft has enjoyed.

Having said all that, every computer that I access the web from is running Communicator as it's default. It works just fine, thank you, and my choice has always been respected by the OS.

Now if only I could get Navigator to respect the fact that I choose to use Outlook 2000 instead of the email program that they forced on me for choosing to use their browser. There's some irony in the fact that IE is perfectly happy to let me choose Messenger as my mail client...

-Bryce