Re: After the scanner, the newspaper ???

Author:Robert Cassidy
Posted:5/2/2000; 11:38:10 AM
Topic:After the scanner, the newspaper ???

Not just old people. Any time you ask a user to type a URL of any non-trivial length (such as the URL to this posting: http://discuss.userland.com/msgReader$16896) you ask the user to differentiate between 1 and l, 0 and O, and to navigate /, , ?, $, %, @, and all sorts of other characters that are very much out of context for them. Of course, if they simply numbered the articles uniquely for each issue and had a web form on their front page for the user to enter the date and article number, that would probably suffice...

However, handheld wireless scanners are starting to come into their own. Some of the HomeGrocer type companies are looking at them so customers could just scan the empty milk carton bar code to add it to their shopping list. I'm looking at them in my office as a fast way to check paper files in and out by staff.